Friday, April 17, 2020
Celebrating Failure
This past semester I have had my fair share of failures. One particular failure comes to mind that was strikingly upsetting. All semester I had tried to work out more and treat my body well. I had been going to the gym for weeks and had decided my goal was to be able to bench press 100 pounds. I always struggled with fitness and have had this goal in mind for a few years now. I promised myself I would be able to do it by April 1st. After weeks of working out and training, a few days before April 1st I realized I was nowhere near my goal. I felt so disappointed in myself, and wondered how I could have put in so much work... yet barely break 80 pounds. Yet, on April 1st I still tried, and my spotter had to lift 100 pounds off my chest in my friends garage/make shift gym. I was humiliated. I had been talking about that goal for weeks and my friends were really rooting for me, considering they were all of similar build and had completed my feat in high school. However, as deflated and sad I felt, I knew I could still complete my goal. I may not be able to lift 100 pounds, but I can lift 80... and two months ago I could barely lift 50. I learned that I can't just focus on how far I have to go, but rather how far I came. Even though I haven't reached my goal, I have plenty of time and dedication to put into achieving it. I handle failure by turning it into a teaching and learning lesson... after a pint of ice cream or two, you know just to take the edge off. This class helped me learn that my failures are blessings, and I can use that failure as a lesson and motivation to get up and try harder next time. That without failure, I wouldn't know what doesn't work and I can use that in order to take me one step closer to my goals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Samantha!
ReplyDeleteI think it is very encouraging that you had this goal for so long. I also think it is great that you had people around you that have met that goal before, so that may have been extra motivation for you. I think it is important in your case to never be discouraged. Although you were working hard at the gym for so long, maybe you were benefitting yourself in other ways that you hadn't even realized while not perfecting your bench skills. I think you had a great lesson to learn and I'm glad you saw it and embraced it. Failure just makes us one step closer to our end goal, just like you said!
Hi Samantha, it is great that you handle failure by turning it into a teaching and learning lesson. With the coronavirus outbreak shutting down gyms you have a good excuse for not being able to reach your fitness goal and it is still impressive to see the improvement you made. In entrepreneurship, you might not always reach your goals on time, but if you learn from your mistakes you will be much better off in the future.
ReplyDelete