Thursday, February 13, 2020

Testing the Hypothesis Part 2

For this exercise I found five individual girls who should very much be interested in the app, however, aren't into the idea at all. My step-sisters five sorority sisters from their time in college are all in their late 20s, with stable jobs. They are all unmarried with no children, free every night from 5pm and do not work weekends. However, even with all this free time and limited constraints, they have no interest in this app. Why? On paper they seem like the perfect candidate. I decided to take a deep dive and ask in depth questions about why these girls' lives aren't suited to be interested in my app.
After asking them questions as to why they wouldn't care about the best deals and nights out, I discovered something about newly working young professionals in their late 20s… they are very tired. Apparently, so tired even the thought of a fun night out with friends seems so draining and unappealing it’s enough to induce a nap. Although they have plenty of free time, they are exhausted from years of college partying and their new professional careers plus navigating financial independence, relationships and setting up the rest of their lives. The “littlest night club in town” really isn't on their radar anymore. I have concluded that this means my app should mainly be marketed to college students and in college towns.
I believe this app connects to other needs of socialization such as loneliness and a desire for new connections. I believe everyone loves having fun and being social, it's in our nature! From my personal experience I've discovered that people have a desire to have fun and let loose and there's a real need and desire for that in humans. We are meant to be social animals and I believe coming together and celebrating life is ingrained in us. 
I think the difference between those who feel a need for this app and those who don't is their current stage in life and a real desire for the human connection and pleasure in the form of nightlife. There really isn't one specific person that I believe this app is made for, it’s made for anyone who wants it. However, college students seem to be the primary audience interested in this type of technology. Typically those who enjoy social activities and nightlife as a primary way to spend their free time. 

Inside the Boundary                                               Outside the Boundary

Who is in: College students, social individuals, young and extroverted adults, those who enjoy spending their free time out and about and having fun.
Who is Not: Those who are tired and would rather spend their free time resting and relaxing, adults with children and other responsibilities, etc.
What the need is: Finding deals and the best event of the night, spending your free time in the best way possible.
What the need is not: Not as a hookup app, and app to get people in the door to make money, a dating app.
Why the need exists: There are so many events that waste people's time and money, my app avoids that as well as brings people together.
Alternative explanations: Many people do not lie going out and would rather rest and relax.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Samantha! I think it is interesting that you chose to interview people in their late 20's with stable jobs because when I first read your idea in the last post, I assumed your target audience was automatically college students. Yes, many people like and need to have fun and I like that you pointed that out, however, I never thought of anyone using this app frequently unless they were in a time of their life where they are surrounded by night life and have the time to go out. It is beneficial that these interviews led you to realize this, though, and it is interesting that the main reason people in their late 20's or older wouldn't use the app is that they are tired. I still think that this is a great idea and I'm rooting for this app! Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Samanatha! Thought your post was very well done! You adequately summarized your interviews and gave insight into what you learned from each one. Your chart is also extremely detailed and easy to read. Great work in this assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha, I think you did a great job finding people to interview who fit the need, but for some reason are not interested in the product. One thing I would suggest is to maybe talk to some other people in their late 20's. The people you interviewed seemed very similar to each other and may not represent the majority of people their age. I think it is a great idea and I can see that you are taking the right steps in determining whether this product is worth pursuing.

    ReplyDelete